Guide To Finding The Right New Instrument
When a musician comes to us looking for an instrument, we prefer to meet, discuss their needs and seek a deeper understanding of their desires.
If we are not face-to-face, this process becomes more challenging. The Questionaire below was developed to assist our clients find their dream instrument.
Please let this be a relaxing and pleasant diversion, to unlock your imagination and dream about your ideal new instrument. Reflecting about dreams and desires is never a quick and simple process; it is more like studying a beautiful work of art that reveals greater depths of hidden beauty the more we look.
In that spirit, please find a moment to relax, make yourself comfortable and consider the following questions; see if any stimulate your imagination, and respond to them accordingly. Some of the questions may seem redundant, which was done purposefully to speak to persons of different temperaments. Naturally, you may ignore any questions that seem irrelevant or intrusive.
Copy and paste the following into a text editor to make notes. Send a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and phone number and we will call you to consult.
1. Who are you? Please tell us about yourself.
- Why are you looking for a new instrument?
- Are you a professional, adult amateur, or a student?
- How long have you been playing? If you are a student, what is your age?
- Are you studying at present, and with whom?
- On average, how many hours a day or week would you say you spend playing?
- What sort of music do you like to play?
- Would you describe the music you primarily play as chamber music, orchestral music, or solo?
- Do you have physical requirements that would be helpful for us to be aware of: are you of petite build, are you hands small, have you had any physical ailment related to playing an uncomfortable instrument?
2. What are you playing on now? Tell us about your present instrument and/or bow.
- How long have you had it?
- Why do you want to change?
- Who is the maker?
- How did you get it, and how much did it cost you?
- What do you like most about it, what do you like least about it?
- What problems have you had with that make you want to change?
- What are you going to do with it/them when you have your new instrument?
3. How is search for an instrument progressing? Tell us about your process so far.
- Do you need an instrument, bow, or both?
- How long have you been looking?
- How many instruments or bows have you played?
- What have you seen that you liked and why?
- What have you seen that you disliked and why?
- Is there a time deadline for you to own a new instrument and/or bow?
- Do you want a new instrument to fill a specific need? Are you taking an audition or a new position, or going to college?
- Was it your idea or did somebody else suggest you need a new instrument or bow?
- Do you have a person helping you make the final decision about your new instrument?
4. What would your dream instrument be? Tell us more about the instrument you will love.
- What size instrument are you looking for?
- Is there anything specific you really want in color or appearance?
- Do you want a new or old instrument?
- What sort of sound are you looking for?
- Would you describe your playing style and sound as more like Mozart or Brahms?
- What is your budget?
- Would you say you prefer a bright sound or a dark sound?
- Which are more important to you: tone quality and color or volume and projection?
- Do you prefer an instrument with quick response under light bow pressure or one that makes you dig in and tug the sound out with more bow pressure?
5. What else would you like to share? Tell us anything at all.
- Whatever you believe will help us better understand you and your needs will be welcome. Is there something that you feel a little foolish about mentioning but that would probably make you reject an instrument immediately?